Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Grain Free Challenge

I have about a million other things to do right now, but I feel compelled to blog. Now that our family has been grain free for 3 weeks, I can honestly say we will not go back to the average American diet (after all, the American diet has brought us nothing more then illness, right?). I must confess, we have had our falls from grace, BUT when we decided to eat off our diet it was a conscious decision made by both. For example, we decided to get a pizza this weekend after the kids were in bed. My husband and I were both soo very excited about the prospect of pizza we were almost giddy. After we ate the pizza; however, we were left with a very uncomfortable feeling. As we were laying in bed, we agreed the thought of pizza was much more enjoyable then actually partaking of it.

 Now, I don't make it a point to announce that my family is grain free. People just notice. Why doesn't she have a bun with that hamburger? No cookies for dessert? People then ask what we're doing.  When I tell them we aren't eating any grains it's always followed with a "why".  If I could give them the feeling I have (not tired, no more cramps - overall a better feeling) I would.  But I can't.  So most people say, "I could NEVER do that".  What I want to say in return (but would never, mind you) is if you feel like you could never give up grains then you are addicted to grains and that my friends is a problem.  If an average American gave up grains could turkey, they would crash just like a drug addict.

Since I've been eating this way, I have learned just how bad grains are for you.  Really, I had no idea.  After all, grains are apart of the food pyramid and the government would NEVER lead us astray, right? (sarcasm in that last statement).  I really wish, in all my wisdom, that I could give you the science behind why you should omit grains from your diet, but I can't.  So here is a guy that can.  Read his blog.  If you want more information about going gluten free, may I recommend learning more about the GAPS diet or the Paleo diet. My small knowledge of both tells me they are very similar.  For those that are unaware, there has been success in REVERSING autistic behaviors with these diets along with other ailments.  Fertility issues have often been resolved by omitting grains from diets.  To me, that speaks volumes.  Like my husband says, "If you put crap in your body, how can you expect to be anything less than crap?".  Oh, the words of a wise man :).

Who doesn't want to live up to their optimal health?! I don't mean to make this blog about going grain free, but I now feel so passionately about it that I feel it's a lifestyle everyone should lead.  My husband gave me something to think about yesterday.  He asked me if I knew what the first signs of a heart attack were.  I'm sure you're listing off some of the warning signs, right?  Well, for 40% the FIRST symptom is the heart attack that kills them.  WELLNESS people, that's what I'm preaching.  How to live WELL and stay WELL - to be better than an Average SICK American.  We don't ask our doctor, "how can I not get sick".  When we see our doctor, it's because we already have an illness and we want a cure.  That is sick care, not health care or wellness care.  Often we wait until the first symptoms comes before we take action.  Seems a little odd, right?  It's like waiting to brush your teeth until you feel that cavity coming on.  (I have to note, that I'm stealing a lot of this from my I husband).

I'm not asking everyone to go grain free.  The little things make all the difference.  Those little thing will then lead to BIG changes.  If you feel like you can't give up grains, may I implore that you do a 30 day gluten free challenge.  If you need help, may I suggest purchasing a book or doing research ahead of time so you don't feel completely overwhelmed.  See how good you feel after those thirty days.  It very well may change your life... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment