Monday, June 27, 2011

Menu: Week 1

As I promised, here is our menu for this week.  Our menu is gluten-free (grain free), but for those that eat grains you can make your own substitutions :).  Hopefully, this will help those that are starting to phase out processed foods as well! 

Day 1

Breakfast:  Scrambled eggs and blackberries
Lunch: Chicken Skewers (Chicken, tomatoes, onion, and pineapple) and fresh veggies
Supper: Italian Sausages with onions and peppers, Green Beans and Grapes

Day 2

Breakfast: Gluten free blueberry pancakes
Lunch: Italian Sausages with onions and peppers, fresh veggies and berries
Supper: Pork Cutlets, Asparagus, and Cantaloupe

Day 3

Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs and Raspberries
Lunch: Pork Cutlets, fresh veggies, watermelon
Supper: Shrimp, Zucchini, Eggplant, and berries

Day 4

Breakfast: Blueberry Muffins and Oranges
Lunch: Shrimp, fresh veggies and a fruit
Supper: Baked Cod, Muffins, Brussels Sprouts

Day 5

Breakfast: Scrambled Eggs and Nectarines
Lunch: Cod, fresh veggies, and fruit
Supper: Roasted Chicken, Asparagus, and Strawberries

As you can see, I usually make enough for supper to have for lunch.  This is just easier for me.  If, for some reason, I do not have enough meat for lunch the next day, salads our my go-to meal.  I always have tomatoes, mushrooms, lettuce and hard boiled eggs on had for an instant meal :).  I also don't cook any veggies for lunch - we eat raw veggies which consists of broccoli, carrots and cauliflower.

In regards to snacks throughout the day, the boys usually just eat fruit. I have lots of berries on hand (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries), along with watermelon, nectarines, bananas, apples and grapes.  These are easy, go-to snacks.  We also eat nuts, nut mixes, raw veggies, gluten free granola, and gluten free pretzels for snacks as well.  Freeze dried fruit is also great for the kids when you're on the go.  Freeze dried fruit has replaced Cheerios for us!  Natural peanut butter and hummus are great dips to add to any snack.

So, that's it!  If there's anything else I can do to help you out, please let me know!  Would recipes be helpful?? If I get enough response for recipes, I can post them tomorrow.  I am a mother of 2 young children, so simple is my motto!

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I love it. Thanks so much for taking the time to post this information, Kami. It helps those of us trying to ween ourselves off the horrific, cancer causing, crap our culture calls food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be interested in your recipes for the blueberry pancakes and muffins. Do you eat any kind of bread? I make ours homemade, and figure it's better for us than buying. Basically just for sandwiches and toast. Could you share your granola recipe? Where do you buy your gluten free pretzels, Peanut Butter and hummus or, do you maki it yourself? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was using this recipe for the pancakes: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Delicious-Gluten-Free-Pancakes/Detail.aspx. However, to simplify, I bought Pamela's Baking and Pancake mix at Kroger in the gluten-free section. Basically, I only need to add eggs, oil, and water. A bag of Pamela's mix runs around $15 for a 4 pound bag so it is not budget friendly.

    This is the recipe I've used for muffins: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/blueberry-muffins-recipe2/index.html. You can also use the Pamela Baking mix to make muffins - which is much easier.

    I know some if the ingredients seem strange (they seemed strange to me at first anyway:)), but they can all be found at Kroger in the gluten-free/health section. You really can't tell a difference between gluten-free and regular muffins and pancakes.

    We don't eat bread anymore. Bread got phased out of our diet because we stopped eating cold meat and cut back on dairy. It just naturally happened.

    Gluten free pretzels can be bought at Wal-mart. Once again, they are expensive - about $6/bag. They are pretty good. We also buy our granola there - making it would def be more cost effective. You can pretty much buy natural peanut butter anywhere now. I don't know if you've ever used it before, but if you haven't, there will be a layer of oil on top of the peanut butter. You just need to stir it in. Regular peanut butter has hydrogenated oil in it - which creates a stiff fat (like Crisco) and alters our fat cells when we consume it. I also buy our hummus. I'm sure there's hummus at wal-mart and kroger, but I've only gotten it a Fresh Market. It should be easy to make.


    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete