Monday, February 7, 2011

No easy task

One would think that going from eating processed foods to REAL food would be easy.  Think about it.  Either eat chemically engineered food, or food from the earth.  Sounds simple, but it is not.  In fact, my life has completely changed because of this. 

After I banned hydrogenated oil and high fructose corn syrup from our house, the first few weeks of grocery shopping were very intense.  Just so you know, hydrogenated oil and corn syrup (which they are now calling it corn sugar) is in a lot of products.  I had to change taco shells, I could no longer buy rolls from the bakery, Yoder's mashed potatoes were out (LOVED them), canned tomatoes, I could no longer buy cake mixes...most of the food I bought, I could no longer buy AND I could no longer depend on convenience foods like Yoder's potatoes and mixes to help me out.

Also, food that I thought was "healthy" in the past, turned out not to be.  For example, I have been buying whole grain taco shells.  My thought process was, "They're whole grain, they have to be good for us.  After all it says so right on the package".  Now, I laugh at this!  If we believe what commercials and packaging say, EVERYTHING is pretty much "healthy".  General Mills claims that their cereals loaded with sugar are "healthy" because they have whole grains.  We cannot believe the packages, but sadly we do without even thinking.  After all, why would they want to lead us astray? :)

So now, here I sit thinking about dinner tonight.  I am having pork cutlets and do you know what goes really well with cutlets??  That's right, mashed potatoes.  So instead of calling on my friend, Mr. Yoder, I will be making my mashed potatoes from scratch - which I have never done.

4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to learn more! I've started making small steps but have a long way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to buy the Yoder potatoes too (very convenient). But it's a lot cheaper & healthier to buy a bag of potatoes and make your own. I'd say I make homemade mashed potatoes 1 time every other week. You're right, they go well with pork cutlets, roast, beef and noodles, etc! And my kids love them!

    Excited to read your blog. However, we won't be as healthy as I'd want to be b/c I've got a husband who loves meat and potatoes and dessert! Got to keep him happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize you started a blog. What a great idea! It is nice to know that I am not alone in trying to feed my family better. I am curious about how you decided what you want to stay away from. Let us know how the potatoes turned out. :o)
    Brittany Isch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Kami! (This is Dionne. I followed the link from Facebook.) As a new mother, I'm really concerned about what my baby eats now and will eat in the future as she grows up. She's a breastfed baby, so at least I'm giving her a good start. I've always thought I ate pretty well, (lots of fruits, veggies, and grains) but I know deep down that there are a lot of processed foods in my house.

    As for potatoes, that's always been a staple. My mother never, ever used instant. We ate them with every meal during the week, so we did a lot of peeling and mashing, lol! I can't bring myself to NOT use real potatoes.

    I'm interested to see how you continue with this, and hopefully I can get some tips. My husband is a terrible eater!

    ReplyDelete